Beginning May 14, 1958 a group of neighborhood seniors purchased the Pacific Northwest Bell Broadway Exchange Building located at 1124 W. Sinto Avenue
Sinto’s membership grew steadily in the 1960’s resulting in the need of more funding. In 1969, members of the board approached the Spokane Parks & Recreation Department for money to help operate the center. The partnership included being a program of the department, hired paid staff who served as the Director and Program Director of the Center. This partnership with the Parks & Recreation Department continues today.
Throughout the years, Sinto has gone through many renovations. Community Development Funds were allocated by the West Central Steering Committee. They were avid supporters of the center. The renovations included:
1980’s Main Floor Office & Kitchen Remodel, Roof Top Air Conditioners, Energy Efficient Windows, Parking Lot addition, Basement Stairwell
2000– 2009 Energy Efficient Lighting, Flooring, Accordion Doors,Parking Lot Re-surfacing, Alleyway steps and landing, Concrete Entrance steps, Fabric Awning, Painting & Chair Rails, CoffeeBar.
Sinto began it's travel program back in the early 1970’s. The Rambling Rovers operated a travel program, offering tours for seniors. After the group left, Sinto started offering day trips and eventually overnight trips.